Monday, January 21, 2013

A Piece of Texas in Freiburg

Yesterday evening and this morning I was lucky enough to have the company of my always fun and entertaining Uncle John! He is spending some time skiing in Switzerland and he took the train from the ski village to Freiburg and I picked him up at the train station yesterday evening. We got him checked into his hotel then headed out into town in search of a place to eat. We settled on Martinsbräu, which is the oldest brewery in all of Freiburg. I had some good old-fashioned Schnitzel and potatoes and Uncle John had a lamb steak, both of which were accompanied by delicious house-brewed beer. After dinner we headed back to my dorm so I could show him where and how I live here in Freiburg. He was quite a hit with my roommates!

Uncle John became an
honorary roommate :)
This morning I picked him up at 10 from the hotel (and was complimented on my promptness), then we went for breakfast at my favorite cafe, Cafe Aspekt. We had very European breakfasts with lots of rolls, jam, cheese, ham, and OJ. And a Chai Latte for me. :) Since I didn't have class until 2 in the afternoon we wandered for a few hours through the city and visited various shops and sights in the city center. Unfortunately the time flew by and it came time for me to take my leave and for him to catch his train back to Switzerland. I'm extremely glad he came to visit (although I was slightly disappointed that he didn't bring his cowboy hat) and I look forward to the next family member to make their way to Germany, whoever it may be! :) *cough Mom, Dad...*

No comments:

Post a Comment